Sunday, February 28, 2010

What are the best hair care products for natural African American hair?

I have natural 'nappy' hair, no color, no relaxer. I want to know the best hair care products to promote growing, healthy natural hair.





My daughter is 3 years old, she also has natural hair. Unlike me she has very dry hair, dry scalp, and split ends. I would like to know what i should use on her hair and is safe for children.








please address both issues.What are the best hair care products for natural African American hair?
The term ';nappy'; is used by a lot of people with a lot of different hair types. If you are referring to what's normally considered type 4 hair which is kinky, coily, and usually very dry and lacks sheen, I would suggest the following:





1) Try to avoid using shampoos with sulfates. Type 4 hair is naturally very dry and lacks oil. Most commercial shampoos strip your hair of it's natural oils. Instead, co-wash your hair once or twice a week using a cheap conditioner like Suave Coconut. Only opt to wash your hair with a clairfying shampoo once or twice a month to avoid product build-up. You can also clarify your hair naturally with baking soda and water.





2) Deep condition your hair for at least 30 minutes every week with heat (meaning: cover your hair in a plastic bag and sit under a hooded dryer or wrap your head with a hot towel). I use Queen Helene Cholesterol Conditioner mixed with Extra Virgin Olive Oil.





3) Use a good moisturizing leave in conditioner such as Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner or Infusium 23.





4) Seal in moisture using a good sealant such as castor oil or pure shea butter.





5) Avoid applying direct heat to your hair.





6) Moisturize and seal your ends every night if you can.





7) Avoid combing and brushing your hair too much. I only style my hair with my fingers. I detangle my hair with a wide-tooth comb once or twice a week only when my hair is saturated with water and a good detangling conditioner like Pantene Pro-V.





I've been doing all of the above for the past 7 months. My hair is growing like crazy and my ends are no longer dry and brittle. Also, I do not suffer from dry scalp or split ends. I also have natural hair with no color or relaxer.





You should join a social network dedicated to hair for black woman such as www.hairlista.com or www.lhcf.com. I got all of my information from both of those places.





Good luck!What are the best hair care products for natural African American hair?
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/鈥?/a>





check out this website has a lot of info on how to take care of hair. type in stuff like dry hair, split ends in the search bar

No comments:

Post a Comment